Topic: Re: Position Announcement: Univ. of Alabama
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Position Announcement: Univ. of Alabama

Haim posted Aug 18, 2012 5:29 PM:
<SNIP>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/world/asia/panic-rad
> iates-from-indian-state-of-assam.html?_r=1&hp
> August 17, 2012
>

> Panic Seizes India as a Region?s Strife Radiates
>
> By JIM YARDLEY

<The rest of Haim's post, quoting the Yardley article, follows for reference below my comments, for ready reference>

Yes, it has indeed been a harrowing 10-15 days or so for a vast number of people from NE India living in various other regions India.

Thousands have fled from various locations in India back to the north-east from whence they hailed, even from Bangalore (and surrounding regions), earlier more or less immune to such 'ethnic strife'.

Certainly a gross failure in governance. It also certainly will shake the faith of many of us in the 'meaning of India' as we've had it all along.

Certainly we need to learn to handle much better how we live with each other in a hugely diverse country as India. We shall have to.

Because the 'mono-culturalism' that Haim is apparently recommending (or even yearning for) can never be again - in India. Or, in the USA (or, for that matter, practically anywhere else in the world). That part of human history is over - forever.

We had better learn to live peaceably with other cultures - or we just do not have a world any more.

(Meanwhile, we do see here that most leaders of most communities are indeed trying to bring peace and build bridges between the communities.

I for one do sincerely believe that we will succeed.

But yes, it is a terrible time that we are now suffering.

GSC