Maxima is a GPL'd branch of Macsyma, the venerable symbolic computation system. Maxima 5.28 is a bug fix and feature enhancement release. The current version is 5.28.0.
Maxima has functions to work with polynomials, matrices, finite sets, integrals, derivatives and differential equations, linear algebra, plotting, floating point and arbitrary-precision arithmetic, etc.
Maxima can run on MS Windows and various flavors of Unix, including MacOS X. There is a precompiled executable installer for Windows, RPM's for Linux, and source code tar.gz.
Maxima is implemented in Common Lisp; several Lisps can compile and run Maxima, including CMUCL, SBCL, Clisp, GCL, and ECL.
The Maxima project welcomes new participants. You can contribute in several ways: reporting bugs, fixing bugs, writing new add-on packages, revising core functions, user interfaces, documentation, etc. Why not see what's happening on the mailing list and consider how you might contribute to the project.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the 5.28 release.
Regards, Robert Dodier Maxima developer and 5.28 release manager
* package stats: removed function simple_linear_regression (superseded by linear_regression)
New items in core:
* new function generalized_lambert_w
* new functions zn_mult_table, zn_power_table
* new functions for Galois fields: gf_set, gf_char, gf_prim, etc.
New items in share:
* package descriptive: new function principal_components
* package descriptive: new histogram style 'density'
* package stats: new function linear_regression
* revise system for building Maxima on MS Windows
* function gamma_incomplete: improve accuracy for complex bigfloats
* function expintegral_e: improved calculation for large imaginary part
3539699: limit of atan2 3538167: Wrong result for definite integral 3534858: wrong answer: limit 3533723: abs_integrate causes stack overflow 3530767: integrate changes k --> k(0) 3530272: nthroot, bad error msg 3529992: Shi (sinh integral) wrong branch, integrate inconsistent 3529144: Error integrating exp(-x)*sinh(sqrt(x)) with domain: complex 3526359: gamma_incomplete(1/5,-32.0) not accurate 3526111: float erf (%i) not working 3522750: assume & integrate 3521596: atan2(sqrt(1-u)*(u-1),1); /* hangup */ 3517785: Wrong sign in exponential integral 3517034: polarform error on simple case mailing list 2012-04-09: Loading gentran mailing list 2012-03-27: bug in net present value unnumbered: inequality facts being forgotten unnumbered: limit(erfc(z), z, inf) unnumbered: bug in animated_gif unnumbered: Lisp output not readable unnumbered: bigfloats parsed incorrectly when ibase is not 10