Topic: Is there documentation of the format of a "sound object"
Replies: 2   Last Post: Sep 2, 2012 4:45 AM

Ralph Dratman

Re: Is there documentation of the format of a "sound object"

I don't know whether the material I am pasting in will come through the
email process intact, but here goes... good luck... the format looks like a
serious headache to me.

>From the Wikipedia article "aiff format":

An AIFF file is divided into a number of chunks. Each chunk is identified
by a *chunk ID* more broadly referred to as
FourCC<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FourCC>
.

Types of chunks found in AIFF files:

- Common Chunk (required)
- Sound Data Chunk (required)
- Marker Chunk
- Instrument Chunk
- Comment Chunk
- Name Chunk
- Author Chunk
- Copyright Chunk
- Annotation Chunk
- Audio Recording Chunk
- MIDI Data Chunk
- Application Chunk
- ID3 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3> Chunk

AIFF-C common compression types

AIFF supports only uncompressed PCM data. AIFF-C also supports compression
audio formats, that can be specified in the "COMM" chunk. The compression
type is "NONE" for PCM audio data. The compression type is accompanied by a
printable name. Common compression types and names include, but are not
limited to:
AIFF-C common compression
types[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format#cite_no=
te-aiff-spec-0>
[7] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format#cite_note-6=

[8] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Interchange_File_Format#cite_note-7=
>Compression
TypeCompression NameDataSourceNONEnot compressedPCMApple,
Inc.fl3232-bit floating
point <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point>IEEE<http://en.wikipedia=
.org/wiki/IEEE>
32-bit
floatApple, Inc.fl6464-bit floating pointIEEE 64-bit floatApple, Inc.alawAL=
aw
2:18-bit ITU-T G.711 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.711>
A-law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-law>Apple,
Inc.ulaw=B5Law 2:18-bit ITU-T G.711
=B5-law<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9C-law>Apple,
Inc.ALAWCCITT <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCITT> G.711 A-law8-bit ITU-T
G.711 A-law (64 kbit/s)SGIULAWCCITT G.711 u-law8-bit ITU-T G.711 =B5-law (6=
4
kbit/s)SGIFL32Float 32IEEE 32-bit floatSoundHack & CsoundADP44:1
Intel/DVI<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Video_Interactive>
ADPCM <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADPCM>SoundHackima4IMA<http://en.wikip=
edia.org/wiki/Interactive_Multimedia_Association>
4:1ACE2ACE 2-to-1Apple IIGS ACE (Audio Compression/Expansion)ACE8ACE 8-to-=
3
DWVWDelta With Variable Word WidthTX16W TyphoonMAC3MACE 3-to-1Apple, Inc.
MAC6MACE 6-to-1Apple, Inc.QclpQualcomm<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualcom=
m>
PureVoiceQualcommQDMCQDesign <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QDesign> Music
QDesignrt24RT24 50:1Voxwarert29RT29 50:1Voxware

Ralph Dratman