Topic: A new FrontEnd
Replies: 30   Last Post: Sep 19, 2012 4:56 AM

George Woodrow III

Re: A new FrontEnd

If Wolfram ever releases Mathematica for the iPad -- it has been demoed extensively over the last year or so -- the entire front end will need a major re-think.

While it may take a while, the changes needed to run in a single-window environment will inevitably filter over into the desktop version. We see this with the transfer of functionality from iOS to OS X.

In the past, there were alternate front-ends available. Theoretically, anyone could make a new front-end using MathLink. For earlier versions of Mathematica, the front end did a lot less, so there were both commercial and 'free' alternatives.

I do not see anyone taking on the task of replacing the front-end. However, it may be possible to build a specialized front-end for a specific task. I have thought about this during bouts of frustration trying to get Mathematica to do something it is not well suited for, but never followed through.