Topic: A new FrontEnd
Replies: 30   Last Post: Sep 19, 2012 4:56 AM

Richard Fateman

Re: A new FrontEnd

9/10/12 1:25 AM, Leo Ditolaghi wrote:

> The reason I said "hybrid" was to recognize that the creation of a
> reliable handwriting input method is no easy feat, and therefore there
> would need to be some other augmenting technology perhaps. Perhaps, for
> example, writing with a stylus with one hand while using a some kind of
> "wireless modifier controller" in the other, in tandem.

plus 2 more hands for the keyboard. Maybe another to hold the coffee.

I wonder if
> using speech to locate or edit symbols might not be too tedious to be
> practical, however.

saying "no" or "back" or "up" is easy/quick/ probably reliable.
Eye-tracking is an old technology, but doesn't seem to be out in the
consumer market.

> I guess I will wait for brainwave-driven input after all, and merely
> watch what I think appear in my document. :D

Most people have either experienced no significant speech input, or
have had relatively poor experiences... the most reliable versions
require some speaker-specific training and a restricted vocabulary.

It is possible to have a large vocabulary or speaker independence.
It is hard to have both. I'm not sure that brainwaves would be a
step forward.