Topic: Geometry Question
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 10, 2012 9:36 AM

michelle Van Etten

From: Moravia High School
Registered: 6/24/09
Re: Geometry Question
att1.html (2.4 K)

We were considering a two year algebra 2 course but decided against it.
The idea being that students really struggle with retention and it would be
an aweful lot of reteaching. We have two other options instead. We found
that even our accelerated students could benefit from more time. Therefore
we decided to make our algebra 2 class like a regents science class with a
lab period every other day. In the past we have had some students not be
able to fit that in their schedule and that made for some individual
compensation but the extra time was benefical to all. The other option we
are trying this year is a class focused on functions. The idea that
students who really struggle in algebra 2 do not have a strong enough
algebra background to understand differences between different types of
functions and how to apply what when. The hope is to beef up their algebra
skills then they will be more successful in algebra 2. Hope this was
helpful.
Michelle Van Etten