Topic: Geometry Proof Question
Replies: 12   Last Post: Sep 13, 2012 5:25 PM

Evelyne Stalzer

Re: Geometry Proof Question

I have told my students the following about the using theorems in the
justifications in proofs:

You may refer to a theorem by its name.
You may quote the entire theorem.
You may paraphrase the theorem.
You may use a combination of symbols and words to describe the
theorem, as long as the meaning is clear and correct.
You may not rely on the number that the text book gives the theorem.
It is meaningless to someone with a different book.

In general, I also tell them that the harder the teacher has to work
in understanding their answers, the more likely that something will be
missed or will not be accepted.

We emphasize two-column proofs during the year, and I explain to my
students why we do that, but I have also told them that paragraph and
flow proofs are acceptable on the regents.

I think that the examples given are not a good idea for teaching
during the year, and in a couple of places are straight out incorrect:
congruent and equal are not exactly the same concept, and
corresponding does not mean the same thing as either of them.

There's one theorem that my class refers to as the cross country skis
theorem, because that's how I teach it. But I don't think I can
expect other teachers to recognize what they mean if they were to
write that in a proof.

Evelyne Stalzer

*