Topic: Re: Position Announcement: Univ. of Alabama
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Position Announcement: Univ. of Alabama

Haim on 13, Sept 2012 7:05 AM, posted - as is only to be expected from him - several sneering citations and references to violence between communities, in response to Gary Tupper's argument that "folks of different persuasion can often come together where their interests coincide". (Haim's complete post appears for reference below my signature).

Haim's critique (and all the pseudo-references he provides to the existence of violence between communities) may be safely ignored (and, indeed, deserves to be ENTIRELY ignored) in the face of overwhelming evidence from countries around the world that 'multiculturalism' [meaning specifically, "communities containing different cultures" - Wikipedia, main entry on "Multiculturalism" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism] actually exists in almost every country - and, in practically all countries (worldwide) is actually growing as people from different cultures learn how to live together in communities. This is not to deny that grave difficulties often surface, sometimes these difficulties turn into huge communal violence, on occasion even genocidal violence between communities has been seen - and it is these difficulties that Haim consistently points to as evidence for his joyous claim that "multiculturalism has failed!".

I put the following to Haim: I accept that the attempts to mingle cultures is always difficult, and that it often leads to violence between people of different cultures. Given that we accept this, can you, Haim, point to a single 'monocultural community' in the world that is growing and is successful? I can give you the examples of innumerable multicultural communities worldwide that are in fact growing - I shall not claim that they are 'successful examples of multiculturalism'; but I do claim that they cannot be destroyed despite all attempts to do so.

I point to, once again, Haim's citation of articles in the New York Times showing the recent difficulties we had in India between Indians of different cultures at various urban centres (Delhi; Mumbai; Bangalore; etc): for example some fifteen thousand (or even more) people from the North-East living and working in and around Bangalore fled, panic stricken, from Bangalore and surrounding areas back to their homes in the North-eastern regions of India - because of fears brought on by some vicious SMS and email messages some of them received promising severe communal violence against them. Haim had pointed to these reports with much sneering at the idea of 'multiculturalism'.

I find it 'remarkable' (to put it very mildly) that Haim has not now pointed to the latest evidence showing that most of those who fled have been returning to their places of work around Bangalore, at least partially reassured of their safety. Is this something that Haim expects his readers to know by magic, whom he had earlier misled with reference to the communal violence that surfaced? The fact that Haim has not on his own acknowledged this fact, of return of North-Eastern Indians back to their places of work after their panic-stricken flight, seems to indicate that Haim is extremely dishonest in the societal critiques that he raises so very stridently. I therefore advise Haim's readers to be aware that they may often be consuming poison - they should take this to be the 'Warning Label'.

I once again CHALLENGE Haim to show me one example of a 'monocultural community' that is actually growing and successful - anywhere in the world.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")
Haim's post dated 13, 2012 7:05 AM:
> Gary Tupper Posted: Sep 12, 2012 1:10 PM
>

> >Folk of different persuasions can often come
> together
> >where their interests coincide - consider the
> opposition
> >to a German proposal about circumcision (
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO73vXOxLlY ) which
> >united Muslims & Jews.

> That is heartwarming, Gary. Here are a few more
> ore items that should be right up your ally (there is
> lots more where these come from),
>
> http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/2012/04/15/
> european-anti-semitism-its-not-just-france/
> http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/JewishNews/Article.as
> px?id=172884
> http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-04-03/europe/
> 31280319_1_anti-jewish-contemporary-anti-semitism-jewi
> sh-school
> http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/arti
> cle/115601
> http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/2020/spain-anti-semi