Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 18, 2012 5:59 AM

Lenore Horner

Re: [ap-calculus] Digital analog converter (DAC) making a discrete continuous?

NOTE:
and post messages there.
If you are asking do DACs create the continuous extensions of functions with removable discontinuities, then the answer is no. The DAC is smoothing (similar to asking for a spline curve through data points on a graph). The difficult part being discussed in the articles you mention arises from the combination of smoothing and knowing that the y-values of the data points have error bars.

I think the wikipedia article and http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/dac.html are more helpful in understanding what is going on.

Lenore Horner
7 Hills
Cincinnati, OH

On Sep 17, 2012, at 10:00 PM, Paul SooHoo wrote:

> After posting my question I did a simple google search on DAC and came up with this article:
>
> http://www.msbtech.com/support/How_DACs_Work.php
>

> It helped a little but by the end of the article my head hurt. I simply want a rough idea if the DAC is trying to figure out how to fill in the holes. is that what delta sigma, ladder DAC and MSB DAC are doing i.e. they are methodologies/algorithms for "filling in holes" ?
>

> Appended to this posting by the moderator:
> This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Calculus Teacher Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started and post messages there.
>
> Lin McMullin
> Calculus EDG Moderator
>
> ====
> Course related websites:
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusab
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusbc
> ---
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-calculus

---