Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 1, 2012 3:57 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: The Prime Directive

Wayne Bishop wrote:

> [...] such as the Oklahoma School for Sciences and Mathematics,
> a competitive two year, highly competitive boarding school
> for kids across Oklahoma, this written by a guy with a PhD
> in mathematics from MIT:

** ...the highest average ACT score in the state. I also heard
** that it has the highest % of PhD's on its faculty of any
** high school. For example, the physics teacher got his PhD
** from Princeton, worked at Lawrence Livermore Labs, and has
** taught at Columbia. None of these guys, myself included,
** can teach in the public schools because we don't have the
** teaching certification. The school is specifically exempted
** from the dictates of the state dept. of ed., which allows
** it to assemble such a faculty.

When I taught at OSSM's "sister school" in Louisiana (Aug. 1996
to May 1999), I was in regular contact with one of the math guys
at OSSM [1], and I see he's still there. At the time, and perhaps
even now, he was the only high school math teacher I knew of who
was fairly active in professional level mathematical pursuits
(research papers, writing reviews for Mathematical Reviews and
Zentralblatt für Mathematik, etc.). That, and the fact that the
couple of years before I began at LSMSA I had a lot of contact
with some Polish mathematicians (the OSSM guy I'm talking about
is from Poland), was what initially led me to write him shortly
after I began at LSMSA. I notice the OSSM web page no longer has
the following statement, which was on their main web page for
many years (back as far as 1996, I think):

"The most rigorous academic program of its kind in the nation."
- - Julian C. Stanley, Ph.D.

O-K, I found the statement. They've moved it from the front page
to here [2].

[1] http://web.archive.org/web/20001011025754/http://www.ossm.edu/~abucki/

http://web.archive.org/web/20001014182236/http://www.ossm.edu/~abucki/papers.htm

[2] http://www.ossm.edu/about/awesome-facts/