Topic: David Ullrich on Godel
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 8, 2012 10:13 AM

Paul

Re: David Ullrich on Godel

On Monday, October 8, 2012 2:11:59 PM UTC+1, David C. Ullrich wrote:

> >Here's some advice. If you disagree with something, try not to put the statement you disagree with in your signature. It's liable to confuse others.
>

> Thanks for the advice. I really doubt that very many people were
>
> confused.

You may be surprised at how many people were confused. I have Aspergers/ high-functioning autism. [AFAIK, those are just two terms for the same thing.] It's well-known that we often miss jokes/ironies etc. that are clear to neurotypicals.

Here's an experience which makes me thing my missing your intention might not be so obvious to everyone. My PC once got infected so that spam was sent out to everyone in my address book. It was standard spam that probably said something like "Hi, Click on ... It's a really cool site..."

Two of my recipients (one of whom is a successful research mathematician) wrote back, clearly assuming I'd sent the email intentionally, saying things like "Actually, I disagree that this is a good investment opportunity." In my opinion, this very literal mindset is similar to a mindset (mine) which made me assume that people quote statements in their signatures that they agree with.

Anyway, it's a good lesson in interpretation.

Paul Epstein