Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 10, 2012 10:10 PM

Doug Kuhlmann

RE:[ap-calculus] Going crazy

NOTE:
and post messages there.
Rebecca,

Let (a,a^2) and (b,-b^2+2b-5) be the points on the respective graphs that share a tangent line. Using the first function the tangent line is y=a^2+2a*(x?a)=2ax-a^2. Using the second function the tangent line is y=-b^2+2b-5+(-2b+2)*(x-b)=(-2b+2)x+b^2?5 with both tangent equations in slope intercept form. Since these are really the same line the slopes and intercepts must be equal, so 2a=?2b+2 (or a=1?b) and ?a^2=b^2?5. Substitute a=1?b into the other equation -(1?b)^2=b^2?5 which simplifies to 2b^2?2b?4=0 or b^2?b?2=0 from this we get b=2 or b=?1. When b=2, a=?1 and when b=?1, a=2.

So the line tangent to f(x)=x^2 at (2,4) is also tangent to g(x)=-x^2+2x-5 at (-1, -8) and the line tangent to f at (-1,1) is also tangent to g at (2,?5).

Doug
Doug Kühlmann
Math Dept
Phillips Academy