Topic: Dear Teacher, Johnny Isn’t Sick. He’s J
ust Boycotting the Test. - NYTimes.com

Replies: 6   Last Post: Oct 25, 2012 10:24 PM

bill wickes

RE: Dear Teacher, Johnny Isn't Sick. He's Just Boycotting
the Test. - NYTimes.com

att1.html (5.0 K)

Could you or anyone tell me if you have ever heard of offering Int algebra,
geometry or alg 2 trig, in a 75 minute block schedule for half of the
year..opinions are welcome.we are doing it and it is frightening to think
that I must cover all of the curriculum in half the year..thx BW

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org]
On Behalf Of Evan Romer
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 6:22 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: Dear Teacher, Johnny Isn't Sick. He's Just Boycotting the Test.
- NYTimes.com

The thought I had on reading this was: how can they give field test
questions in the fall? The students haven't been taught the whole curriculum
yet, so how can the field test results be valid? A Pythagorean Theorem
question may field test as a very hard question simply because the students
haven't learned that topic yet.

I suspect that the answer is that they need to have Common Core questions
for the April 2013 assessments, and they don't have enough questions
field-tested yet, so by God we're going to field test them even though the
results won't be valid.

Evan Romer
Susquehanna Valley HS
Conklin NY

On Oct 14, 2012, at 7:03PM, Roberta M. Eisenberg wrote:

=all> &emc=edit_ur_20121014&pagewanted=all