Topic: Move point x towards point y
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 17, 2012 6:54 PM

Bruce Elliott

Re: Move point x towards point y

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <k5mvig$q67$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 10/17/2012 12:48 PM, Bruce Elliott wrote:
> > dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <k5mmg1$19k$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> >>
> >> What's the definition of 1.0 unit(s)???

> > Presumably it's the same as the units for point 1 and point 2.
>
> Well, that's one presumption, yes...
>
> But might not
>
> p2(1)=p2(1)-1*sign(p2(1)-p1(1));
> p2(2)=p2(2);
>
> Be as equally a valid definition if the point is on a grid???

Do you mean that P2 shifts by one unit in the x-direction, but doesn't move in the y-direction? I suppose the OP might have been asking that ... although I guess then it's completely ambiguous whether this motion should be in the x-direction or the y-direction (and why).

I just assumed that he wanted the point to move along the line between P1 and P2. Matt J's response is the best for that.

> I was trying to get OP to think of what his problem statement really is
> in more concrete detail. Which assessment might lead to either
>
> a) understanding the answer to his own question, or failing that,
> b) at least getting closer to a definitive problem statement.
>
> Otherwise, it may be a correct answer to the wrong question...

Agreed - a little clearer explanation of what the problem is all about might help.