Topic: Sum elements in a list with conditions
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 20, 2012 1:56 PM

Simons, F.H.

Re: Sum elements in a list with conditions

After having used GatherBy, for each of the resulting list elements you
want to have the first element of the first column and the sum of the
second column:

In[10]:= list1 = {{1,a},{2,b},{1,c},{2,d},{2,e},{3,f}};
In[11]:= {#[[1,1]], Total[#[[All,2]]]}& /@ GatherBy[list1, First]
Out[11]= {{1,a+c},{2,b+d+e},{3,f}}

Fred Simons
Eindhoven University of Technology