Topic: numerical challenge
Replies: 90   Last Post: Oct 26, 2012 7:41 PM

Jeff Liebermann

Re: numerical challenge

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 20:58:35 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>That's a really stupid interview question for an electronic design
>position.

True, but it only gets worse. Job interview questions are drifting
from the irrelevant to the ridiculous. For example:
<http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/engineer-interview-questions-SRCH_KO0,8.htm>
3,715 questions, none of which have anything to do with engineering.

In order to insure my place in infamy, I created my own irrelevant
questions. Well, not exactly a question, more of a process. I would
show the applicant a PCB from the company product, and ask them to
identify components that they've worked with in the past, and give a
short description on what they do. Ostensively, this was to gauge
experience. Most would recognize about 25% of the major RF
components, which was about what I would expect. I then explained
what the board did, what products it was used in, some of the parts
they missed, and generally filled in the blanks.

I would then give the applicant a tour of the factory, production
line, grab a cup of coffee, and return to my messy office where I
would hand the applicant the exact same PCB, and ask the exact same
question. The real test was whether they were paying attention and
how much of my explanation they were able to recall. 50% recognition
was typical. Exceptional engineers and techs, which unfortunately we
couldn't afford to hire, would come very close to 100% recognition and
recall.

Other companies use the interview for testing problem solving skills.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Interview>
Now, that's what I call relevant questions. However, it's
occasionally abused by asking the applicant to solve a real problem
with a current product. I once interviewed at a company that did that
to me. I was presented with a large schematic of the product, and
asked to critique the design. After a few minutes of hasty back of
the envelope calculations, I declared the product to be over-designed,
a tolerance accumulation nightmare, and that there were several active
stages that were superfluous. I offered specific recommendations on
what should be changed. I then expect to be thanked for my brilliant
insights. Instead, I was diplomatically thrown out the door. It
seems that the manager that was conducting the interview had designed
the product, and did not take kindly to criticism. So much for a
relevant problem solving interview.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

[...]