Topic: Why?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 9:38 PM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: Why?

Robert Hansen wrote:

> Why is the attached page in a 4th grade math text?
>
> Teaching algebra in 4th grade IS NOT the path to algebra.
>
> Teaching arithmetic in 4th grade IS the path to algebra.

4th grade seems a little early to me. I think 6th grade
would be more appropriate for something like this. Also,
I think I'd omit explicitly defining and using the word
"variable", and I KNOW I'd omit defining and using the
phrase "algebraic expression".

Dave L. Renfro

Date Subject Author
10/23/12