Topic: Why?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 9:38 PM

Clyde Greeno

Re: Why?

More to the point:
Because the authors don't know what kind of algebra 4th graders should
learn, and how it differs from high school algebra. Under-educated authors.

The child who has already learned to calculate the area of a rectangle is
ready to *abstract* such proceedings by creating and using a FORMULA for
doing so ... perhaps LxW or BxA.. Likewise for 32+(9/5)C and other formulas
about child's-life measurements.

The label, "algebraic expressions", was one bad mistake of the SMSG Algebra
Committee. Introductory algebra is all about FORMULAS for functions ... I.e.
for generating numeric values from numeric entries. That group did not know
the difference between a formula (for producing something) and an equation.
End result ... authors still thinking that the variable are the letters ...
rather than what the letters represent ... the "L" and the "W", rather than
the variable lengths and widths.

There are some kinds of algebra that K-6 children can learn ... to help them
to learn arithmetic. But NOT the kind of algebra that is shown on that page.

Cordially,
Clyde