Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 24, 2012 8:53 PM

Lenore Horner

Re: [ap-calculus] Double Derivatives

NOTE:
and post messages there.
I don't think your example works. For x<0 the second derivative is negative and for x>0 the second derivative is positive, thus this is a place where the second derivative changes sign.

For continuous functions, in order for a point where the second derivative is zero to be neither an extremum nor an inflection point, the second derivative must be zero for at least one adjacent point on at least one side.

On Oct 24, 2012, at 3:37 PM, Bradley Stoll wrote:

> NOTE:
> This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Calculus
> Teacher Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started
> and post messages there.
> What no one has mentioned yet (I don't believe) is that not only does f '' = 0 not guarantee an inflection point, it doesn't guarantee that it's one of those. In other words, one can't look at the graph of a function and conclude that the second derivatives is not zero. Often, students will look at a graph say, it's concave up there so
> f ''>0. This isn't true. Consider the function f(x) = x^4 + 2x for x > 0 and x^5 + 2x for x <= 0. This function is twice differentiable at 0 and f ''(0) = 0. Yet, if you graph f(x) there is nothing special (at least by its looks) about f(x). That is, there is not an inflection point or a relative extrema there. I think there are some that believe if f '' = 0, then one of those must occur, but that's not true.
>
> Bradley
>
> From: Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com>
> To: AP Calculus <ap-calculus@lyris.collegeboard.com>
> Cc: AP Calculus <ap-calculus@lyris.collegeboard.com>
> Subject: Re: [ap-calculus] Double Derivatives
>

> NOTE:
> This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Calculus
> Teacher Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started
> and post messages there.
> A number of people have replied to this question, correctly. But I wish they'd mentioned that their answers reflect an important fact: The meaning of the sentence, "The test fails," is precisely what they're illustrating.
>
> When we say that a test fails, we mean exactly that the test doesn't give us *any* useful information about the phenomenon we used the test for.
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Debbie Bricker <DBricker@cathedralcatholic.org> wrote:

>> NOTE:
>> This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Calculus
>> Teacher Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started
>> and post messages there.

> --
> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

---