Topic: An Interesting Point
Replies: 16   Last Post: Nov 7, 2012 11:14 AM

Dave L. Renfro

Re: An Interesting Point

Robert Hansen wrote:

> I was just trying to gain some insight on how to classify
> all of that. When you have to "bold" the 5, then you are
> distinguishing it from the number 5. You don't have to do
> that with flavors because you can always uplift the 5 to
> the superset above it.

I only have a few moments (have to leave to tutor someone),
but I wanted to say that the different "flavors" of '5' are
an artifact of specific construction schemes and aren't
consciously thought of by working mathematicans (nor should
they be thought of) while the constant function example and
the operator example involve mathematical distinctions worth
keeping in mind, even if the notation is designed to let you
carry on without always having the distinctions in the front
of your mind.

Dave L. Renfro