Topic: Cyclotomic polynomial question
Replies: 4   Last Post: Feb 26, 2013 11:35 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: Cyclotomic polynomial question

In article <afq6naFduk2U1@mid.dfncis.de>, <fc3a501@uni-hamburg.de>
wrote:

> Clearly X^B*(1-X)*(1+-X^A+X^(2A)) are cyclotomic polynomials
> of the form X^P+X^Q+X^R-X^S-X^T-X^U (don't worry about the
> X=0 stuff, I'm just too lazy to divide it out properly) but
> are it the *only* ones? The (1-X) factor is obvious but the
> rest might telescope, e.g. like in (1-X)*(1+X^3+X^4+X^6).
> (The latter factor isn't cyclotomic...but COULD it be?)

Are you saying exactly what you mean? Cyclotomic polynomials are
irreducible over Z, so can't have factors as you described.

Ken Pledger.