Topic: sorting arrays in a cell array
Replies: 23   Last Post: Nov 15, 2012 11:16 AM

Steven Lord

Re: sorting arrays in a cell array

"dpb" <none@non.net> wrote in message news:k813je$4hr$1@speranza.aioe.org...
> On 11/14/2012 3:12 PM, Bruce Elliott wrote:
>

>> I'm still not sure exactly what you mean by a "multi-level index", which
>> you stated earlier that you don't have in your version of Matlab. Do you
>> mean the ability to write something like,
>>
>> x = myCellArray{3,4}(5,6); ?
>>
>> That's just a basic bit cell array functionality, which has been around
>> a pretty long time, I believe. (I can't remember when cell arrays were
>> first introduced, which ought to mean that it was quite a while ago,
>> although lately it doesn't mean that quite the way it used to ...)

> <http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/multilevel-indexing-to-access-parts-of-cells.html>
>
> It's _now_ "basic" cell array functionality but it wasn't for at least a
> couple of releases after cell arrays were first introduced.
>
> Cell arrays existed at least as far back as R11; I'm currently at R12
> which is roughly '99/'00 time frame.

Cell arrays were introduced in MATLAB 5.0 (R10). For reference some of the
other features introduced in that release, according to the WHATSNEW
function, were:

struct arrays
multidimensional arrays
the original MATLAB object system
SWITCH
WARNING
subfunctions
ODE solvers

> But the second level of indexing ('multi-level') wasn't introduced until
> sometime after that. If I do
>

> >> c(2,3)={rand(4)}
> c =
> [] [] []
> [] [] [4x4 double]

> >> c(2,3)
> ans =
> [4x4 double]

> >> c(2,3){1,1}
> ??? Error: () Indexing must appear last in an index expression.

That still doesn't work. Use c{2, 3}(1, 1) instead. I tried it and it works
in release R10.

*snip*

--
Steve Lord