Topic: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Replies: 21   Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 10:22 AM

W^3

Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences

In article
<903909e2-4673-4c2c-be09-e1be2da87102@y8g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
Butch Malahide <fred.galvin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 7:44 am, David C. Ullrich <ullr...@math.okstate.edu> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:19:29 -0800, W^3 <82nd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > >If R^N had a countable basis, then so would every subspace of R^N. In
> > >particular l^2 would have a countable basis, call it {v_1,_2, ...}.
> > >Setting V_n = span {v_1, ..., v_n}, we then have l^2 = V_1 U V_2 U ...
> > >But this violates Baire, as l^2 is complete (in its usual metric) and
> > >each V_n is closed and nowhere dense in l^2.

> > Very good. I thought there should be something more analytic or
> > cardinalitic instead of the (very nice) algebraic trickery that's
> > been given.

> However, it seems to me that the "algebraic trickery" shows that there
> is no basis of cardinality less than the continuum, whereas using
> Baire category only shows that there is no countable base.

Let's do this instead: l^2 is isomorphic to L^2([0,2pi]) (as vector
spaces and much more), and the set {Chi_(0,t) : t in (0,2pi)} is
linearly independent in L^2([0,2pi]).

Date Subject Author
11/13/12
Read Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Mike Terry
11/14/12
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Virgil
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
archimede plutanium
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Robin Chapman
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David Bernier
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Robin Chapman
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
quasi
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
W^3
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David C. Ullrich
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Butch Malahide
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
W^3
11/18/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David Bernier
11/19/12