Topic: Bad at math; need to relearn
Replies: 20   Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 11:52 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: Bad at math; need to relearn

In article <f373c9ab-5fee-48aa-9b7e-14093fa3f4ec@googlegroups.com>,
justin.awm@gmail.com wrote:

> .... I want to be good at
> math - I don't care how much work it takes, but I don't know where to begin.
> I want to completely relearn it from the basics....

A small suggestion: the little book "Mathematician's Delight" by W.
W. Sawyer (1943, then many reprints).

His Chapter 1 "The Dread of Mathematics" begins with the words "The
main object of this book is to dispel the fear of mathematics." Then he
eloquently describes people like you.

Later chapters contain more technical things, very carefully
introduced. You may find Sawyer's style reassuring as well as
informative.

Ken Pledger.