Topic: Help from someone with a CAS requested.
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 15, 2012 5:26 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: Help from someone with a CAS requested.

In article <50A42515.AB08D67@btinternet.com>,
Frederick Williams <freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Elsewhere (1 - q^r)/(r(1 - q)) = (1 + c^(r/2))/2 is being discussed.
>
> Can some kind, helpful, generous person tell me what q is as a function
> of c and r?

Clearing the fractions gives you a polynomial equation of degree r in
q, which means trouble if r > 4. But choosing particular values of c
and r allows a numerical method such as Newton-Raphson.

Formulae like this turn up in financial mathematics, so it's not hard
to find elementary treatments such as
<http://www.ifitbreaks.com/solving.htm>.

Ken Pledger.