Topic: Cantor's first proof,
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 16, 2012 4:36 AM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: Cantor's first proof,

Uirgil <uirgil@uirgil.ur> writes:

> In article
> <d0d377c2-ee0d-4fee-9317-f705ba75ed9d@p11g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
> WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

>> > Not all sequences of digits correspond to natural numbers, in particular
>> > infinite ones such as the diagonal your construction creates.

>> What digits do you need to know that that the number is unnatural? Can
>> you know these digits?
>>
>> Regards, WM

> One can know that any non-zero digits following a decimal point (or
> other radix point) in a number make it not a natural number.

There's a limit to how much time should be sent on stuff like this, but
that part I was referring to was where WM applies a diagonalisation
argument to a list of natural numbers, modifying digits from right
adding zeros as needed. The result is therefore not a natural number.

--
Ben.