Replies: 108   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 9:25 AM

mahipal7638@gmail.com

Re: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

On Nov 27, 7:45 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> "Mahipal"  wrote in message

[trim]

> > Ok. 40 +/- 70 is approximate enough to deal with. Btw, I lost my
> > Sister to cancer a few years back, I am now older than her age at
> > passing. It was very difficult, and still is, especially on our
> > Parents. Having lost a child is a very painful experience. Be strong
> > and find comfort somehow.

> > Do ignore all the trolls and evil mongers that are immune from the
> > joys and sorrows of being Human.
> > I lost my sister to suicide when she was 47. She was never very bright
> > and we were never close. Unfortunately I had to insist my nephew went
> > to his father when her marriage failed, for the child's benefit. She
> > was not really a fit mother.
> > My daughter was the complete opposite, loved by all and the life and
> > soul of the party, always a smile on her face. Working for a travel
> > agency,
> > she went to more places than I did. Even Mickey Mouse came to see her
> > at work!

> http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Wendy/Wendy.htm
>
> It's good you keep them both in your memories.
> Is it?
> Sometimes I just want to forget, pretend it never happened. Losing
> my daughter changed my relationship with my grandchildren. Where
> before I took my grandson to see Cutty Sark (before the fire) which
> he thought of as a "pirate ship", his loss of a mother caused him to
> cling to his father, a nice enough guy but a football freak and a simpleton
> my daughter had control of. Now the lad has the same bias and his
> broader education is lacking as I am ignored.

It is. Has to be, by some readily available cosmic suspension of
disbelief. Past is prologue and we honor our fallen friends and family
by remembering them for having been there, despite however annoying or
wonderful they might've actually been day to day. Your son-in-law and
your grandchildren should be talked to directly. Likely they are too
challenged themselves by having to deal with the weight of unexpected
death in their lives.

For instance, my friend Keith... |<e^(itH)... I remember often. He
died in a stupid Stupid STUPID diving while gone fishing accident
during the same time I was learning quantum mechanics via Dirac's
<Bras| and |Kets> and that H thing. So |<eith. Rip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bra-ket_notation

> God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The
> courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the
> difference. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

Always me changes... me always changes... me changes all ways... meal
ways changes... word games. Given 17 letters, two blanks included in
this specific count, then there are a mere 17! permutations. Small
number that, compared to the 52! of a deck of unbiased deck of cards.
Perhaps here's a good time to ask how much does a Anagram weigh?

> Well, fuck any gods, but I'll take the rest of that prayer. If there were
> any god I'd kick the impotent bastard (or vicious cunt)  in the balls for
> what he did to my family.

Keith's father was, perhaps still is, a preacher or a priest. I have
not kept in touch. Gods are not, fwiw, the invention of mere and or
sole Westerners. In Greek Mythology and Hinduism, there are as many
gods as there are virtues and vices. Numerically, god is 1. Besides...
god's got to be the ultimate atheist because who the hell is s/he
going to believe in?! Still I am comfortable with Pascal's Wager. All
the while worshipping at the chalice half full of scotch.

> Enough of that. Fuck the vicious psychopathic faggot Dork Van de moortel
> too, and I've said my piece. I accept what  I can't change.

> > Your posting this quote earlier today was is very inspiring:
> > "And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is
> > unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever
> > you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations,
> > in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all
> > its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful
> > world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy." -- Max Ehrmann

> [trim]

> > > <http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Doolin'sStar.GIF>

> > > Two beams are brighter than one if they arrive together. It was
> > > Henry Wilson who first noted that delta T differed from delta t
> > > to yield an apparent time dilation and compression. So... no
> > > cataclysm. No Einstein relativity nonsense either.

> > Interesting graph where DT/dt < 0 in certain regions. Can you please
> > put values on the parsecs and the time axes, if needed.

> > Nope. Newton's three laws don't have values, they are a principle.
> > The time could be microseconds or millennia, the distance can be
> > millimetres or Mega-light-years. It is likely but by no means certain
> > that V 1493 Aql will repeat its phenomenon every 200 years, about
> > the same period as Pluto orbits the Sun. We didn't have enough
> > observers or telescopes 200 years ago to have seen it before.
> > Much closer to home is Algol, that has a period of 70 hours.

> http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Algol/Algol.htm
>
> If V1493Aql is going to display this brightness curve periodically,
> then you should compute this curve for Algol and include it on your
> site.
> A triangle has three sides. If the ratio of the sides is the same then any
> two triangles with that ratio have the same shape and are called "similar".
> It doesn't matter whether the sides are 3 miles, 4 miles and 5 miles or 3
> cm, 4 cm and 5 cm,  they have the same shape, the same right angle.

No need to patronize. Your analogy is however, good. I accept Euclid,
Riemannian, and Nikolai Lobachevsky as great Geometricians. Spherical
geometry, ftr, seems to have originated with Al-Jayy?n? in the Middle
East. No wonder modern architecture in UAE is simply astonishing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Lobachevsky

> Similar light curves have the same ratio of distance, period and orbital
> attitude. If I knew the distance and the orbital attitude I could compute
> the period, but I don't.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Swan_Leavitt
> Henrietta Swan Leavitt worked with approximately similar light curves that
> had approximately similar periods. From that she obtained approximate
> distances. Cepheids are now thought of as "standard candles" to find
> approximate distances.
>
> This phenomena must be independent of any supernova activity.
> Recurrent novae are not supernovae. The Crab really is an exploding star, a
> supernova.

Not sure how I got thinking supernova in this thread. Anyway, your
proposition is clearly a basic speed of light plus or minus the source
speed issue. Let's just focus on the principle from now on. You do
realize if I pursued such thoughts in any Liberal Arts Academia, that
I likely wouldn't get a passing enough grade to return for the next
semester? Might even get me banned from some websites of late.

>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_Nebula
> It is my opinion that SN 1987A is a collision of two stars.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_1987A
>
> I say this because they have very different spatial distributions of debris.
> A sudden brightening of light can have many causes.
>

> > Why do you conclude that this is a elliptical orbit binary system?
> > Isn't this the kind of detail Astronomers determine before the Farmers
> > keep insisting the rocks really fell out of the sky -- all the while
> > getting mocked by the Astronomers?
> > A star with a planet is not called a binary system and I didn't.
> > However, all planets have elliptical orbits. The Moon has an elliptical
> > orbit. The Earth has an elliptical orbit about the barycentre it shares
> > with the Moon. That barycentre is a 1000 miles beneath our feet.
> > If the mathematics of elliptical orbits were not known no probe would
> > ever reach Mars.

> Ok, a supernova star with a planet, rather than a binary stellar
> system. Actually my knowledge of planetary orbital dynamics is quite
> good. Was the V1493Aql planet's orbit already known, pre the double
> peaked brightness curve? Or, did you use the twice peaked light curve
> to estimate the planet's orbit?
> Again, a star with a planet, not a supernova with a planet.
> No planetary orbits are known, and certainly not for distant stars.
> V 1493 Aql has a magnitude of 16, which is incredibly faint. Any
> magnitude beyond about 6 is not visible to the naked eye.
> A telescope is essential.

I do and did presume all V 1493 Aql measurements are made by
professional astronomical telescopes and Astronomers. Forgive me Lord
if I have sinned. The naked eye sky visibility is nil to foggy from
where I gaze, so rarely, if ever, up. My eyes are no competetion to
the all encompassing spectrum spanning telescopes deployed the Earth
over. Our surveillance spans the Universe, not just my NIMBY windows.

> [trim]
>

> > > Am familiar with this fable.
> > > ================================================
> > > The world was flooded when the Northern Ice Cap melted, so Noah built a
> > > farm on a boat to save the animals. Such is the nature of fables.
> > > Are you familiar with this 2100 year old technology?
> > >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
> > > The extremely poor mathematics of the Holy Roman Empire, still extant
> > > throughout the world and especially so in the USA, has lost us much from
> > > the Greeks, the Persians, the Indians, the Arabs.

> > That's a fascinating mechanical device, amazing the Antikythera is
> > 2100 years old. Not that age matters much. But wow! I recall I first
> > saw it demonstrated, after replication, on a great TV series names
> > "What The Ancients Knew" and wondering how come so few shows this
> > amazingly good and insightful?!

> > The resultant extremely poor mathematics is a simple consequence of
> > the reality that a Plagiarist is never -- along any direction along
> > the time axis -- as thoughtful, insightful, inspired, and talented as
> > the Original Thinker.
> > You miss my very simple point.
> > It is very difficult to teach an adult, let alone a child, that
> > MXXIV divided by DXII equals II, 1024/512 = 2 is much easier.
> > One before five is IV, one before ten is IX, not VIIII. Order is
> > is important, IV is four and VI is six. What then is IVX?
> > Four before ten perhaps?

> I thought you meant the Romans imitated from the Greeks without fully
> grasping the mathematics.
>
> Am very familiar with the limitations of Roman Numerals. Yet, there
> had to be some science type Romans wondering, how big a tax an
> MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...MMMMM might represent. Of course, it seems in
> retrospect, he wouldn't have tried multiplying it with 0.

> In my opinion the loss was more a result of conquest than failing to grasp
> the mathematics. A device such as the Antikythera mechanism, sunk by
> a Roman trireme, why would a Greek give away such a wonderful device to an
> enemy who wasn't listening anyway?
> Navigation by the stars and planets, that's a trade secret and a commercial
> advantage. One does not teach his enemy mathematics when his town has been
> raped and pillaged, even assuming he's still alive to do so.

When the Library of Alexandria in Egypt was demolished and burned,
accidentally or otherwise in 48BC, thanks to Julius Caesar, it is very
Very VERY likely the competent Teachers died en masse too. So, not
only did the Teachers not willingly give away the knowledge trade
secrets, they weren't likely deemed relevant enough even to be asked
anythink before being killed. Savages first. Ho hum.

> > Mathematics means learning and applying simple and consistent
> > rules and the rules of Roman arithmetic are far from simple.
> > There were no Roman mathematicians, they were handicapped
> > from birth by bad notation. They has no symbol for zero, that was
> > an Indian idea and India was beyond the reach of the Roman Empire.
> > Greece wasn't, and Greek mathematics died out as a result. Only
> > Greek geometry survived.
> > Using letters for actual numbers was a BIG mistake, it blocks out
> > algebra where x can be any value, not just ten.

> Interesting assessment.
>
> [trim]
>

> > > =============================================
> > > Heck, my Jazzy is faster than walking, all I want is for all pubs not to
> > > have steps as it limits my choice.
> > >  http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/jazzyselect6.asp
> > > Trouble is some of them are 900 years old.
> > >http://www.caldecottegroup.com/propertydetail.aspx?id=cRhqQTirslI%3D

> > In the USA we have nothing old, so I love traveling to Europe and
> > India. What could be more charming than having a scotch at a 900 years
> > old pub?!

> > Indians of the American variety had a Palaeolithic culture, stone tools
> > and weapons but no megaliths. Europeans had megaliths 3000 years ago
> > and are still savages today.

> Thanks for the warning, I shall beware the savages in Europe.
> They surround you in Maryland. Look at that face on a \$20 bill. He killed
> Indians.
> <  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears>
> It's a European face, glorified on paper. Beware the savages in America.

No need to scare me, a true non-native Indian I, any further for I am
already maxed out on the fear meters. Do check out these -- fairly
recent historical evidence confirming existence of brains being
washed, it's good to be clean -- telling lyrics:

"They took away our native tongue
And taught their English to our young"

http://www.justsomelyrics.com/449306/Paul-Revere-and-the-Raiders-Cherokee-People-Lyrics

> [trim]
>

> > Nobody took and held on to your, or mine, passport. Yet the act
> > happens daily to other less fortunate working class people in the
> > international realm.
> > But legally. Uncle Sam takes your taxes and hold on to it, it should be
> > illegal for anyone to steal your money. Yet the act happens daily to
> > fortunate business class people in the national realm.
> > Hey, let's make taxes voluntary like pledges to PBS. Those that want
> > an army to defend everyone should pay for it, those that don't shouldn't
> > listen to classical music on the radio. I'm all for this what's legal
> > what's illegal argument, we can pay lawyers instead of taxes and if
> > that doesn't work the way I want it to, shoot each other.

> Let's presume legally, for the sake of faking having faith in fellow
> humans.
> ============================
> As long as you are only faking I'll go along with it. The devil has an
> advocate.

You are such a joy to interact with Lord John. Salute!

[trim]

> > Two ways to defeat that. One is get a rowing boat, sneak out and in
> > again at night, no passport needed. Illegal immigrants try to get into
> > Britain on the cross channel ferry to Dover, what they should do is go
> > through Ireland or Wales or Scotland, not England.
> > It may take more than 5 hours for the crossing.
> > The other is get filthy rich and go by your own private plane. Money talks
> > and bullshit walks.

> Though the rowing would be good exercise for my health, I will not try
> that route. A yacht, with full stocked bar, might work. I am working
> on making a lot of that filthy rich kind of money. Even then, my
> passport is going to be mandatory papers required for traveling. It's
> also very likely the rich are hassled plenty and foremost by Customs.
> They need to either confiscate that or tax that. The poor have
> nothing, hence carry nothing, and use the fast green lane through
> Customs.
> Quite so, the poor dangle the expensive camera they purchased abroad and
> paid no duty on, hidden in plain sight as they dutifully pay up a few coins
> (shrapnel)  on the bottle of wine they declared. Of course, *I* would never
> do such a thing, God save the Queen from rogues. I ALWAYS declare something
> and pay up. The Customs and Excise people look at me like I'm an idiot but
> they never hassle, Gawd bless 'em. Go through the slow red lane, fool, it's
> faster and friendlier if you pay SOMETHING and the jerk there is always a
> trainee not trusted to spot the green lane travellers trying to sneak in
> without paying.

Soon, to find a workaround for the trainees or the all too competent
Customs' crooks, the green lane will likely go the dodo bird away
entirely and they'll automatically scan plus x-ray all contents within
suitcases. With the old all pervasive, ever present, all things are
property of the State principle, justification. Trust not, verify all.
Big Brother is busy advancing perfecting stalking. Pretty confident
that when women get breast implants, to enhance their entrapment
capabilities, the left and right ones have unique RFID transmitters
constantly beckoning.

> Thanks hanson for the summary and advice. Just amazing you followed
> the details, and got the attributions right.
> =====================================
> Cha-cha-hanson is lurking, huh?  He's pure as the driven snow and
> dances upon it when he's not licking Kinky Wobbly's aetherial arse.

Sir Guru Cha-cha-hanson knows his stuff and is both kind and wise
beyond measure. Aside, phonetically, Cha-Cha means father's younger
brother in most all of India. Ok, at least northern parts of it.

> -- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
> Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Enjo(y)...
--
Mahipal

[...]