Topic: Optimization
Replies: 6   Last Post: Feb 27, 2013 10:42 AM

Carlos Alejandro Perez Lasso

Re: Optimization

Alan_Weiss <aweiss@mathworks.com> wrote in message <k909dk$77l$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> On 11/22/2012 2:16 PM, Matt J wrote:
> > "Carlos Alejandro Perez Lasso" <carlosalejandro85@gmail.com> wrote in
> > message <k8lisn$aqf$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> >> I will try lsqcurvefit and see what happens. Regarding the objective
> >> function, it doesn't have quantizing operations like the once you
> >> described above. It does contain operations that write python scripts
> >> to produce input files for running Abaqus simulation and retrieve
> >> information once the simulation is done.

> > =================
> >
> > It seems like it would be hard to know in advance whether such a
> > function was even differentiable. As for local flatness, an easy test
> > you can do is
> >
> > small=1e-6;
> >
> > for i=1:N
> > f(x)-f(x+small*rand(size(x))) end
> >
> > If this returns N zeros, it's a strong sign know your objective
> > function f() is locally flat.

> You might want to consult the documentation on optimizing simulations
> for suggestions:
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/optim/ug/optimizing-a-simulation-or-ordinary-differential-equation.html
>
> Alan Weiss
> MATLAB mathematical toolbox documentation

Hi Alan and Matt,

I'm nearly done with my master thesis and I wanted to thank you both because the information you provided was really helpful. I found the answer in the section 'Set Larger Finite Differences'.

Thanks a lot.

Carlos Alejandro Perez