GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: [math-learn] Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus
Western learning

Haim posted Nov 23, 2012 8:25 PM:

> Robert Hansen Posted: Nov 22, 2012 11:29 AM
>

> >There is a lot of anecdotal fluff in the article
> that is
> >just plain wrong, and we see this far too much now
> days.
>
> Bob,
>
> You are confusing anecdote with fiction.

<snip>
Indeed. And thanks for drawing our attention to this fine distinction.

Question: Are the following examples valid?

A: Examples of 'anecdotal fluff':

Claims by Robert Hansen (RH) that he was:

i) "the best in the class"
ii) "seldom called to the board".
(see http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7926805)

B: Examples of fiction:

i) Haim's claim that
"PUTTING THE EDUCATIONAL MAFIA IN JAIL!" will resolve all (or most of? or some of?) the deficiencies of the US public school system

ii) Professor Wayne Bishop's claim that "BLOWING UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" will resolve all (or most of? or some of?) the deficiencies of the US public school system

???

Just asking as a matter of some minor 'scientific curiosity' on my part.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")