Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Nov 29, 2012 10:35 AM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: Simple random number generator?

Clark Smith <noaddress@nowhere.net> writes:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 15:08:17 -0500, Existential Angst wrote:
>

>> Would be the digits of e, pi, et al?
>> If that's the case, no need for fancy pyooter algorithms?
>>
>> Inneresting article on pi, randomness, chaos.
>> http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/pi-random.html

> Is it not the case that the digits of e, pi et al. can't strictly
> be random, if it is only because they are highly compressible? I.e.
> because there small, compact formulas that spit out as many digits as you
> want in a completely deterministic way?

Absolutely.

Of course, that's also the case for the "fancy pyooter algorithms" that
Existential Angst wants to replace, so he or she is not really talking
about random but about pseudo-random sequences. Calculating the digits
of pi or e etc (and, presumably, some simple combinations thereof) is
harder than the super fast "fancy" algorithms already used, so I don't
see the benefit.

--
Ben.