Topic: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers
Replies: 70   Last Post: Dec 8, 2012 1:28 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers > Wallis/Pycior

The concept of lines of numbers [linearly ordered systems of numbers] was
invoked long before Wallis. In accord with the 17th century confusion about
signed numbers during his times, Wallis proffered a pedagogically *horrible*
interpretation ... the kind of thing that presently abounds among
mathematically challenged educators who have not studied how/what students
actually learn.

For students' who are first encountering "multiplication" of signed numbers
in scholastic curricula, such "teachings" typically make no mathematical (or
common) sense to the students, themselves. Their only recourse is to follow
the path of "Yah, yah, whatever you say ... just tell me what you want me
to do" ... commonly known as "rote."

See my forthcoming note on "MACS syllabus", in this thread ... about the
common-sensibility of signed-numbers "multiplication."

Cordially,
Clyde