Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Dr J R Stockton

Re: Simple random number generator?

In sci.math message <rubrum-1B190E.20064214122012@news.albasani.net>,
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:06:42, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> posted:

>In article <OjcVDZPLshyQFw5g@invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid>,
> Dr J R Stockton <reply1250@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>

>> In sci.math message <rubrum-471E53.18462311122012@news.albasani.net>,
>> Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:46:23, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> posted:
>>

>> >I do not see how quantum effects can be used to generate
>> >random sequences.

>> Radioactive decay is due to quantum effects, and there is a fixed
>> probability for each atom to decay in the next time interval.

>From what does the unpredictability of radioactive decay arise?

The laws of quantum physics. Read Heisenberg. Alas, it is no longer
possible to hear him directly, as I have done.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London. Mail ?.?.Stockton@physics.org
Web <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.