Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Michael Press

Re: Simple random number generator?

In article <slrnkcsl5f.3ro.hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu>,
Herman Rubin <hrubin@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote:

> On 2012-12-15, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> wrote:
> > In article <OjcVDZPLshyQFw5g@invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid>,
> > Dr J R Stockton <reply1250@merlyn.demon.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> >> In sci.math message <rubrum-471E53.18462311122012@news.albasani.net>,
> >> Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:46:23, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> posted:

> >> Radioactive decay is due to quantum effects, and there is a fixed
> >> probability for each atom to decay in the next time interval.

> > From what does the unpredictability of radioactive decay arise?
>
> From the assumption that the atoms decay in a random manner. This
> gives unpredictability. The other quantum assumptions say that
> the decays of the various atoms are independent, and that the
> decay is at an exponential rate.
>
> The msin assumption in this is that the probability that an
> atom which has not decayed by time T will still have a probability
> of decay between T and U which is independent of anything which has
> happened before time T, and only depends on U-T.

I am asking for the basis of the unpredictability
in physical theory. Assuming it is random is to
beg the question.

I hold that the wave theory of matter does not
predict random occurrences.

--
Michael Press