Topic: Simple random number generator?
Replies: 24   Last Post: Jan 7, 2013 10:52 AM

Wally W.

Re: Simple random number generator?

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:43:33 -0700, Virgil wrote:

>In article <r2bkd85ld4bhfah8oq709ctsrnt6gukvmo@4ax.com>,
> Wally W. <ww84wa@aim.com> wrote:
>

>> If radioactive decay is random, how are we able to govern the rate of
>> decay in a reactor?
>>
>> We are not similarly able to affect the outcome when flipping 1000
>> coins simultaneously and nondeterministically.

>I dare say we could affect the outcome of those coin flippings
>statistically, changing the ratio of head to tails a bit for instance,
>by suitably controlling the flipping mechanism.

A graph of the number of heads vs. the flipping impulse might be
cyclic or unchanged as the impulse increases.

A graph of fission rate vs. neutron flux would increase monotonically
as the flux increases.

The radioactive decay of many atoms seems to be more determinable than
the flips of many coins.