Topic: No Putnam spoilers please
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 14, 2012 6:05 AM

Dr J R Stockton

Re: No Putnam spoilers please

In sci.math message <Pine.NEB.4.64.1212021939320.2621@panix2.panix.com>,
Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:47:28, William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> posted:

>On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, William Elliot wrote:

>> "What's 5^2012 mod 7?" is a Putnam question? ;-}
>>

>What the heck, just to add some math, I'll solve it,
>Putnam question or not.
>
>phi(7) = 6; 5^2012 = 5^(6 * 335 + 2) = 5^2 = 25 = 4 (mod 7)

Correct by direct calculation in Bases 7, 10, 13, using my longcalc.exe.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20; WinXP.
Web <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links.