GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative
1"?

Robert Hansen posted Dec 3, 2012 4:18 AM (GSC's response interspersed)

> On Dec 2, 2012, at 6:11 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I've always wondered why (and still do wonder why)
> we even have to call it the "square root of -1" at
> all [whether that's taken to be 'minus 1' or
> 'negative 1'].

> > Why not just call it, say, 'i'?
> > [Which has the property i (x) i = -1].

> I am not sure I understand the problem with calling
> it the square root of -1. When they are introduced it
> is obvious that it is the square root of -1, why not
> go with that?

Well, my problem is (was, see below) with the extra 'complexification of thought' caused by kids trying to understand (often unsuccessfully), the very concept of the square root of -1.

However, your explanation below of introducing this concept after quadratics takes away my objection. This is a very good reason to add the extra concept of "square root of -1". Indeed, when introduced like this, I believe the concept would help to clarify for most kids. By the way, at another level, this does indicate, I believe, the validity of my oft-expressed idea that we need to go to the formal and the abstract only via real and concrete.

(I'm not familiar with Dolciani, so shan't comment on any of that. I'm not able to see videos well on my system - but did appreciate the writeup about Max Beberman that you had linked to on the other thread).

Anyway, thanks for that explanation, which removes my doubts - and my objections.

GSC