Topic: Help with dynamic functionality
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 3:18 AM

Simons, F.H.

Re: Help with dynamic functionality

A further simplication shows wat is going on and how to achieve what you
are looking for:

Grid[{{Checkbox[Dynamic[y]], Dynamic[y]},
{Dynamic[x], Slider[Dynamic[x, (x = If[y, #, 0]) &]]}}]

Check the checkbox and move the slider. Then uncheck the checkbox. That
changes the value of y, so the updating mechanism starts. For updating
the the slider, the frontend asks the kernel to evaluate the first
argument, that is in this case x only, which as not changed. If you
want that unchecking the box has an effect on the slider, the first
argument of the slider must depend on the variable y as well, e.g.

{Checkbox[Dynamic[y]], Dynamic[y],
Slider[Dynamic[If[y, x, 0], (x = #) &]], Dynamic[x]}

Observe that the last Dynamic[x] shows that even when the the checkbox
is unchecked, assignments to x are done when the slider is used. To
prevent that, instead of (x=#)& you can use If[y, x=#]&.

Fred Simons
Eindhoven University of Technology