Topic: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Replies: 28   Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 5:50 PM

jaakov

Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?

On 03.12.2012 16:07, Carsten Schultz wrote:
> Am 03.12.12 15:21, schrieb jaakov:
>> Given a set X and a cardinal k, is there a set Y such that card(Y)=k and
>> X is disjoint from Y?
>>
>> Is there a proof of this fact that works without the axiom of regularity
>> (= axiom of foundation) and does not assume purity of sets?
>>

> I am not sure if I understand all of this.
>
> Consider the class of all ordinals not in X. This is a well-ordered
> proper class and hence has an initial segment which is order isomorphic
> to k. Take that initial segment.
>
> hth
>
> Carsten

Hi Carsten:

Thank you. To finish this proof, we have to prove that your class, let
us call it Z, contains an initial segment of cardinality k. However,
informally speaking, X may hypothetically contain too many ordinals,
still being a set, such that too few ordinals remain in Z. Could you
please expand on why Z contains an initial segment of cardinality k?

It's not a homework.

Best regards

Jaakov.

Date Subject Author
12/3/12
Read Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Aatu Koskensilta
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Carsten Schultz
[...]
Butch Malahide
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/3/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Butch Malahide
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
jaakov
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
William Elliot
12/4/12
[...]
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/4/12
Read Re: Given a set , is there a disjoint set with an arbitrary cardinality?
Spammer
12/4/12