Topic: Modifying Default Stylesheet
Replies: 10   Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 2:23 AM

David Reiss

Re: Modifying Default Stylesheet

I have issues with the modifications of the default Style sheet as
well. The substantive changes have broken a large number of things
for me. There is the option, for legacy documents, to retain the
previous version's styles. But if you do any editing of the
document's private style sheet then the overall styles revert to the
new styles...

So, my opinion is that this is a significant design mistake: styles
that have been used since version 3 (e.g., black typefaces for
Sections & c, Times font for Textual cells, and so on) are now changed
significantly. The right way, in my opinion, to have handled this
would have been to create an alternative DefaultNew stylesheet and
give the user the option of choosing it to use as he or she wishes.
But the general styling changes for the Default.nb stylesheet should
have been only tweaked, not broadly changed.

But to get to one aspect of your question: if you make an edit to the
default stylesheet then, whenever you upgrade your copy of
Mathematica, those changes will be lost since the stylesheet will be
replaced at the upgrade.