Topic: Re: In "square root of -1", should we say "minus 1" or "negative
1"?

Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 5, 2012 4:49 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09

On Dec 5, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> Joe N says:
> "Martinez"
> Author of "Negative Math":
> http://www.amazon.com/Negative-Math-Mathematical-Rules-Positively/dp/0691123098
>
> I should point out that the track in this book investigating an alternative sign rule is not entirely original, Gerolamo Cardano did a similar investigation ~450 years ago (pg. 25):
> http://books.google.com/books?id=3AnAcnc-yvIC&pg=PA24&lpg=PA24&dq=r+c+h+tanner+sign+rule&source=bl&ots=C6T0I1dHGc&sig=RGZTPVvFFX_MM4duVi-YcOQfm1c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=tbe_UNf9I8f00QG6l4GIBg&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=r%20c%20h%20tanner%20sign%20rule&f=false
>
> Joe N

That is interesting. I haven't dug deep, but that would be like replacing "i" with "-". But then what would happen to something like 3+2i? That would become 3 + (-2), but is that added like we do, or did he have a new rule of adding as well or was the unary sign symbol not related to subtraction at all?

Bob Hansen