Topic: spammers in sci.physics like BroilJab, Kevin, HVAC, Sam Wormley
Replies: 4   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 4:25 PM

plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com

new Rule for New Google Newsgroups-- ONLY 3 posts per day per person
Re: spammers in sci.physics like BroilJab, Kevin, HVAC, Sam Wormley

On Dec 7, 1:00 am, Archimedes Plutonium
<plutonium.archime...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We see some improvement in sci.math already with the New Googles
> Newsgroups where many of the off topic post abusers are being deleted.
>
> Such as the Kevin constant off-topic posts. I opined that Kevin was
> doing it because he is scisick (chips on the shoulder). And to get his
> daily kick by irritating people with off topic posts.
>
> But I opined that BroilJab was just Kevin again with a different name.
> So that Kevin was off-topic abuse, but in combination with BroilJab
> and perhaps even HVAC (another pseudoname for Kevin) that in
> combination, their second game is that of filling up the poster board
> with their nonsense so that the worthwhile physics and math posts are
> buried.
>
> So we have OFF Topic abusers
>
> And we have what I call Poster HOGS that aim to bury the worthwhile
> posts.
>
> There is no better example of a Poster Hog at this moment than Sam
> Wormley. I opine it is a computer program and not a person.
>
> Anyway, a typical Wormley spam post is a post of just one or two lines
> referring to some other website. What is so obnoxious about that, is
> it knocks of all the worthwhile posts when Wormley does about 10 of
> them at a time.
>
> Now I myself do at most about 3 or 4 posts per day but when Wormley
> does it as a Poster Hog, he consumes the entire board.
>
> So, what is the sense of someone reading a list of headlines and
> posting 10 of those 1 liners, just so that he can bump off all the
> posters who had something worthwhile to say about physics.
>
> The old classic of Poster Hogs was the "Solutions Manuals" which they
> cared less about selling manuals and more about bumping off all
> worthwhile posts.
>
> AP

So today, looking at Sci.physics for the first 10 posts there are 6
Sam Wormley (poster hog) and 3 HVAC (poster hogg duet)

The trouble with newsgroups when there is no limit to numbers of
posts, is that these poster hoggs then take up the entire board.

In the old days, they were both Off-Topic-Nuts along with being a
Poster Hog. But with Google New NewsGroups they are deleted if Off
Topic, but in the case of Wormley, obviously, his trick is to write
copious one liner posts and flood the newsgroup.

In sci.math, today, the "fom" poster-hoglet has 5 of the first 10
posts.

Now there is a very easy solution to Poster Hogs, for which left
unchecked would end up as ruinous to the newsgroups as before Google
had its New Newsgroups.

The easy rule is that any one single person (including all the fake
names a poster uses) is allowed only 3 posts per day to a newsgroup.

Otherwise, unfortunately, all the science newsgroups will be victims
of poster-hogs.

Especially Archimedes Plutonium, because the poster hog of Sam Wormley
is specifically designed to bump off the AP posts from being on the
first title page to having to rummage down to the 2nd or 3rd or 4th
page to find my most recent post. Characters like Sam Wormley are not
here to do physics but to re-arrange the title page of sci.physics.

So the only fair solution for any of the science newsgroups is to
limit all posters (even those using multiple fake names) limit them to
only 3 posts per day, and automatically delete there 4th and higher
posts. Now that would not be onerous to Wormley, because all he really
has to do is aggrandize his huge number of separate one liner posts
into 3 posts.

AP