Topic: Mathematics in brief
Replies: 84   Last Post: Dec 11, 2012 3:23 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: Mathematics in brief

On Dec 10, 12:21 am, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 9 Dez., 21:19, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Then you are wrong from the scratch. Every real number has a
> > > representation by an infinite sequence (= infinite path of nodes in
> > > the tree). But as my proff shows I construct the whole Binary Tree by
> > > countably many paths. There are not more nodes available to add
> > > further paths.

> > > That is purest nonsense. And it has nothing to do with Cantor's
> > > diagonal which is of course an infinite sequence of digits
> > > corresponding to a path in the Binary Tree.

> > Yes corresponding to an ACTUAL infinite path in the Binary Tree, which
> > is something that you already refuse to address.

> No, you misunderstood. I construct the actually infinite Binary Tree
> by actually infinite paths like "every finite path which is appended
> by an actually infinite sequence of 000..." or "every finite path
> which is appended by an actually infinite sequence of 111..." or ...

Ok, now you are clear. And just to make it more clear you are claiming
that the actual infinite path 101010... is a path in your actual
infinity binary tree, correct.

If so what is the proof that ALL reals belong to that tree?

And what is the proof that the number of paths in that tree is
countable? I can see that the number of paths in any FINITE binary
tree is less than the number of its nodes? but can that feature
survive at infinite level? and what is the proof? I do see that the
number of nodes in your tree is countable. But would it follow that
the number of paths must be so at infinite level?

How I see matters is that if I assume that there is a bijection
between N and the set of all infinite paths in your tree, then I can
easily construct a diagonal using Cantor's argument, and this diagonal
would provably be a path that is not in that Tree. So either your tree
must have uncountably many paths (with countably many nodes) or your
tree has countably many paths but is incomplete, i.e. there are
infinite binary paths that are not paths of it.

Zuhair

Date Subject Author
12/8/12
Read Mathematics in brief
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]