Topic: Corruption of file
Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 19, 2012 4:56 AM

David Bailey

Re: Corruption of file

On 11/12/2012 07:24, Alexei Boulbitch wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> During the work evaluation a cell I got the message:
>
> "There is a syntax error in the file being read. Do you want to open it as
> a plain text?"
>
> Upon pressing "Yes" I got the message:
>
> "There was a syntax error on line 541095 in the file: 2Dgraphics.nb.
> The error was:
>
> bdnhsNoXjUtzE3OjHyBhBxTcduHehni+"
>
> And the question, if I wish to open it as a plain text file. Upon the pressing the "Yes" button the hang up starts.
>
> The file in question cannot be open by Mathematica any more.
>
> It is Mathematica 9 on Windows XP.
>
> Alexei BOULBITCH, Dr., habil.
> IEE S.A.
> ZAE Weiergewan,
> 11, rue Edmond Reuter,
> L-5326 Contern, LUXEMBOURG
>
> Office phone : +352-2454-2566
> Office fax: +352-2454-3566
> mobile phone: +49 151 52 40 66 44
>
> e-mail: alexei.boulbitch@iee.lu<mailto:alexei.boulbitch@iee.lu>

Quite apart from the failure to open the file as plain text - which is
not really that useful, because it will display BoxForm structures -
there are surely two important questions:

1) Do you have any idea what caused the corruption?

2) Is the notebook important to you, and if so, is it backed up?

Unless this is a bug in Mathematica 9, this sort of thing can happen if
a notebook is written back to a disk just as the system is shut down (or
a removable disk is pulled out).

If you need the data that has been corrupted, you can probably retrieve
most of it using a text editor on the file. Try opening an uncorrupted
notebook with a text editor to see what they contain.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk