Topic: Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers > a MACS
syllabus

Replies: 6   Last Post: Dec 20, 2012 12:35 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers > a MACS syllabus
att1.html (6.4 K)

Oh, MY!
Hansen's: "But the mathematics isn't the pictures, it is in formal thinking."

The height of mathematical naiveté. Spoken like a truly devoted disciple of how mathematics traditionally has
been taught in American schools and undergraduate courses ... which is quite unlike how mankind's mathematical knowledge actually is created.

Mathematical knowledge is organized into mathematical theories ... and is created through *personal* theorizing done by its creators ... only subsequently being shared with others. Like many other animal species, the human mind theorizes by working with, and on internal pictures ("schema", if you prefer). Most American adults have, and use personal theories about how to tie their shoes. Putting those theoristic pictures into written words is a very complex challenge. Putting them into mathematical languages is even more demanding ... so much so that mathematical theories necessarily are relatively simplistic.

The mathematics is in the theorizing and in the resulting theories ... regardless of how (or whether) they are expressed. Yes, there IS an area of genuine mathematics that focuses on the processing of formalisms ... and many adults have been myopically reared to equate that smaller part, with the whole enterprise. [Americans are rarely educated in the nature of mathematical theories or mathematical theorizing.] There even is an arena of mathematics that focuses only on formalisms, while ignoring any possibility of conceptual meanings to under-stand those formalisms.

But to claim that all of mathematical theorizing is done through "formal thinking" is to invoke an ultra narrow meaning of "mathematics" ... a meaning that ignores most of what has been done, and is being done, in the field.

"You can't even come up with a convincing picture of minus times a minus."
The pictures have been around for centuries ... but they have been "convincing" only to those persons who are willing and able to learn how to newly interpret them. [Even some of the greatest were hampered by their myopic clinging to inappropriate interpretations.]

The 2-space graph of the -3x function yields a very clear picture of what (-3)*(-2) means. But to be "convinced", one must be willing to learn that with signed numbers, the word "times" speaks only about how to operate with the two numerators (the 3 and the 2) ... NOT about combining the signs.

The picture consists of the -3x line (a proportion), and the (1,0)-to-(1,-3) segment of the vertical slope-scale ("tangent" to the unit circle), and the vertical (-2,0)-to-(-2,6) altitude. That picture says that (-3)*(-2) is the function-value, at -2, of the proportion whose per-unit-rate is -3 per 1. When that picture is not "convincing", it is probably because the convincee has yet to learn that such evaluations are called "multiplying" only because of what is done with the numerators.

Cordially,
Clyde