Topic: Array of array
Replies: 14   Last Post: Dec 29, 2012 12:23 PM

CHINEDU

Re: Array of array

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kbe2d8$727$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 12/25/2012 8:14 PM, CHINEDU wrote:
> > Hi friends,
> > Please kindly assist me with an answer to this question:
> >
> > Is it possible to create a Matlab array whose elements are in turn 3
> > element arrays?

> Sure...
>

> > I mean, how can I create an array as A = {(1,2,2), (3,2,1), (5,3,4),
> > etc}. If possible, how do I access the elements of this array. If not,
> > could this be possible in Fortran?

> Almost there...just have to use [] for the arrays inside the cell array
> curlies...
>

> >> A = {[1,2,2], [3,2,1], [5,3,4]}
> A =
> [1x3 double] [1x3 double] [1x3 double]
>
> To address element contents, use them as well...
>

> >> A{2}(3)
> ans =
> 1

> >> A{:}
> ans =
> 1 2 2
> ans =
> 3 2 1
> ans =
> 5 3 4

> >> A{1}
> ans =
> 1 2 2

> >> A{1}(2)
> ans =
> 2

> As a native structure, Fortran doesn't support cell arrays. You could
> do something similar w/ user-defined types and allocatables but they
> would look more like structures in Matlab than directly mimicking cell
> arrays.
>
> --

Thanks all. I appreciate your quick answers.

dpb, your answer is exactly what I wanted. I actually want to create a 2 dimensional array whose elements are in turn 3-element arrays i.e. To create a matrix A with
Row 1 = (1,2,3), (2,3,4), (2,4,5)
Row 2 = (4,5,6), (1,2,2), (0,2,1) etc

dpb's answer has answered it exactly but I am still having problem of accessing the elements. I have understood how to access the one-row type through dpo's answer but the 2D access is not still clear. I mean, how can I access elements of 2D array whose elements are subarrays? dpo please, help.

I have done something like this A ={[1,2,3],[0,-1,4];[-2,-3,-4],[9,8,7]}
And am accessing the elements using
A{r,c}(i) for the i-th element of the r-th column and c-th column eg. A{1,2}(2)=-1
Is this correct?