Topic: log normal?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jan 1, 2013 6:17 AM

Re: log normal?

In article
RichD <r_delaney2001@yahoo.com> writes:

> Ocasionally I come across somethign called log
> normal, and I wonder, what is the purpose?
> The normal distribution is natural, but the log of that,
> seems unnatural, and unintuitive.
> Can anyone elaborate on its use?

Basically, the normal distribution is natural for additive processes.
Add n uniform-deviate random numbers together m times, make a histogram
and you get the Gaussian, i.e. normal, distribution. The log normal
distribution is the equivalent for processes which are not additive but