Topic: Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar

Wayne Bishop posted Dec 26, 2012 11:49 PM (GSC's response interspersed):
> "Perhaps this new conspiracy theory is even more
> ludicrous because of
> the sheer greater numbers of people that would
> (probably) have to be
> involved in it."
>
> I have to agree with GSC on the one if, indeed, Haim
> actually used
> the word "conspiracy".

Haim did not actually use the word "conspiracy" in the message referred to. Instead, he asked the question "Is it something in the water?" - and someone else at this thread initially picked up on that to use the 'C'-word. However, Haim has time and again stated (or implied) his belief that the 'Education Mafia' is involved in a gigantic conspiracy designed to destroy US public school education.

My own position (as an Indian, though one who, for various reasons, is keenly interested in the state of US education) is simply the following:

1. It is almost certainly true that the Teachers' Unions, the US education department, many official and non-official agencies - along with individual teachers, parents and students - are usually NOT doing the best they can to use their own resources (their good ideas) for the good of US education.

I claim, in fact, that their current (individual/ group) mode of thinking and discussing issues (the 'prose mode') inevitably leads some of them to ludicrous positions such as:

i) "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" - and others to the very opposite (but equally ludicrous) positions to the effect that:

ii) the US is "the land of brave, home of the free" - and its educational system therefore has to be the best in the world (and cannot be improved; and therefore no efforts should be made to improve them). Briefly, that those clubbed together as a group termed as the 'Education Mafia' are doing their very best always to improve US education, etc, etc.

In my opinion, neither side to the dispute is being accurate or truthful in their argumentation.

2. There are practical means, readily available, whereby we can start thinking more productively on such complex issues (as "improving our educational systems"). I have in several of my posts here tried - not very successfully, I'm afraid - to discuss such practical means. The *challenge I've thrown* has NEVER yet been picked up (by anyone on any side of any issue [at this forum]!)

*The challenge is: Go out and actually work effectively with your own (and others') productive ideas to improve the US education system!*

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

The rest of Professor Bishop's post follows: