Topic: Cech Stone Compactification
Replies: 7   Last Post: Jan 2, 2013 3:43 AM

Herman Rubin

Re: Cech Stone Compactification

On 2012-12-31, William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> wrote:
> Would somebody elucidate what Wikipedia was saying about
> Stone-Cech compactification? It doesn't make sense for
> isn't a compactification an embedding into an compact space.

> Some authors add the assumption that the starting space be Tychonoff
> (or even locally compact Hausdorff), for the following reasons:
> * The map from X to its image in bX is a homeomorphism if and only
> if X is Tychonoff.

A space is Tychonov if and only if the inverse images of open
sets under real-valued continuous functions form a base for
the topology.

> * The map from X to its image in bX is a homeomorphism to an open
> subspace if and only if X is locally compact Hausdorff.

If f is a bounded continuous function, the closure in bX of
{x: f(x) <= c is compact for all c, and since X is an open
subset of bX, there is, for each y in X, a bounded continuous
function h which is 0 at y and 1 on bX\X. Then {h(y) < 1/2) gives
the desired neighborhood whose closure in X is compact.