Topic: fmincon: setting a limit for Line Search steplength
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jan 3, 2013 10:03 PM

Alan Weiss

Re: fmincon: setting a limit for Line Search steplength

On 1/3/2013 3:31 PM, Allamarein wrote:
> Thanks for your kind reply.
> Perhaps I will try to use a genetic algorithm or a pattern search and, subsequently, fmincon.
> Probably also a multistart algorithm could be useful.
> About this aspect, what are 'DiffMinChange', 'DiffMaxChange' and 'RelLineSrchBnd' for?

Suit yourself, but you will likely find the genetic algorithm and
pattern search solvers far slower and less accurate than fmincon.

You can read about the meaning of the various options here:

In brief, DiffMinChange and DiffMaxChange are limits on finite
differencing steps for derivative estimation, and RelLineSearchBnd is a
bound on a line-search relative step length for the fmincon active-set
algorithm (a very obscure option indeed). For more information on
DiffMinChange and DiffMaxChang, see
and the surrounding discusion.

Alan Weiss