Topic: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jan 9, 2013 7:57 PM

JT

Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort

On 9 Jan, 05:38, forbisga...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

> per rotation and we had head per track so average latency was
> 10 milliseconds.  The fast disk held 4 times as much disk and
> spun 4 times as fast so average latency was 2.5 milliseconds.
> We didn't need to do an index search to get the account record.
> When the clerk poked the button on the machine it sent a signal
> to our computer, we calculated the address, got the record, addded
> to or subtracted from the balance, put the record back, and sent
> the update to the machine so it would update the passbook.  Since
> the accounts were dense, that is assigned sequentially with no gaps,
> we could easily read them sequentially.  If we were asked to report
> in account balance order we would have had trouble since we didn't
> have computer memory or disk memory sufficient for such a task so
> would have to do a tape sort.  Yes, we were keeping two sets of
> transaction logs on tape and maintaining institution totals on disk
> but that doesn't really matter.  This is the kind of problem your
> algorith addresses, except you are just counting occurances and
> you only gave the calculated dval rather than the keys converted
> to them.  You chose a set with exactly 256(255?) keys and most
> occurring more than once.  Your specific claim was that it might
> be slower for less than 2000 items.  You didn't claim the dataset
> needed to be dense nor did you explain your weighting function
> and that it needed to be tuned so the keys were dense.  Instead
> you claimed no comparison was needed to do the sort.  Now I ask
> you how did you build your weights without comparing the keys?
>
> So, suppose I want to count instances of the words in the set
> {cat, dog, mouse, monkey} and report them back out as a list
> in alphanumeric order as you did and I want to do so as fast as
> I can.  OK I create an array I can index by the small int values
> 't','d','u',and 'n'.  I don't care about any entries other than
> these four so I don't initialize the array other than for these four
> entries and assign the index=value pairs 't'=1,'d'=2,'n'=3,'u'=4.
> Sure this table is sparse but who cares, it's only going to be used
> to assign the weight.  I don't need to look at the rest of the key
> when assigning the weight because I know it will be in one of these
> four and I can distinguish them from the 3 character.  So sure, I
> can beat quicksort because I don't have to compare "mo" to get to
> 'n' and 'u' and I'm not exchanging records.  I wouldn't really
> call what I'm doing "sorting".  As it turns out I would be faster
> just to initialize the 4 values and count in the sparse table then
> report back out using the ordered set of indexes {'t','d','n','u'}.
> As I said you can hash the key to build the index for the count.
> As long as you know the range of keys prior to the "sort" you can
> make the hash good enough to prevent multiple keys hashing to the
> same index.  All of this would need to be finely tuned to the datasets

If the array approach been posted to sci.math since at least 2003 it
can not be new, what is new is that i tell you i already implemented a
dynamic recursive algorithm using pointers in -97. I never posted it
here i would never had gotten any credit for it anyway, nor for
breaking RSA only an orange suite and a trip abroad.

Date Subject Author
1/3/13
Read My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/3/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/3/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/3/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/4/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
kiru.sengal@gmail.com
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
JT
1/8/13
Read Re: My sorting algorithm that counts in values in arrays, JTsort or Countsort
forbisgaryg@gmail.com
1/9/13